Novaskaggi Heimrocs

The Refinery, Part II

Autolog.293 – Schola Psykana Overseer Stenson

>>>>RECORDING INITIATED>>>>>>
>>With the Orks advancing on us from inside the refinery complex, Delta squad dug into our position in the trees. The greenskins emerged in a disorganized rabble, sprinting toward the trees in ones and twos until Ty’Win unleashed the heavy bolter…

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: HEAVY BOLTER/AUTOMATIC/OUTGOING<

<<<//RECORDING TERMINATED//<<<<

>>>>RECORDING INITIATED>>>>>>>
>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>The greenskins pressed-on at first, only a handful turning back, but as soon as the largest among them turned to hide, the rest followed suit. They dove into the polluted stream between us and the compound’s shattered gates, or hid behind the burnt-out trucks left from their own assault the day before.

Ever since the Incident, Ty’Win’s reticence to channel the power of the warp has torn at his soul. I’ve seen his jaw strain in agony whenever a moment arises he may be called upon to summon forth the Emperor’s Blessing. When those shells barked forth, so simple in their brutatlity, so predictable, I saw a calmness in his expression.

Calmness is certainly the furthest thing on my mind, or the others, I can assure you. For those who’ve never faced a charging band of orks on a rainy night, the feeling in your gut indescribable. The barrel of a Leman Russ battle cannon is not that fearsome. Then again, I suppose staring into the horrors of the Warp, no matter how brief, can be matched by no mortal terror…except possibly those transpiring in the depths of the Black Ships.

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: LAS-CARBINE/SEMI-AUTOMATIC/OUTGOING<

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Cease fire! We need to kill them, they’re out of las range wait until the front runner reaches the brushline.

>VOICEPRINT(TY’WIN)>"As you command,"

>>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: INFANTRY GRENADE LAUNCHER/OUTGOING<

>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILAV)>"What?"
>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: FRAGMENTATION EXPLOSION/+100 M<
>XENO-VOCALISATION….WAVE-PATTERN ID: ORKRAGE/CONFUSION<

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Conserve your ammo

>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILAV)>You said kill them. This is how you kill things.

>VOICEPRINT(VOLKOV)> Listen to the Foreman, brothers! The sooner they approach, the sooner they be cleansed by His light!

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>With the cessation of bolter fire, the orks have rallied quite quickly. Within a moment they’re charging forth anew with not a trace of forethought or cohesion. The pair that had been stunned by Rusty’s grenade are already within a hundred meters, but the foreman stays our triggers. The enemy closes, ninety meters…eighty….nearly to the brushline.

>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILAV)>Foreman

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Wait for the big one.

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> The foreman’s voice is calm and steady, not nearly as inspiring as the sight of Yuri behind her, his knuckles white around his weapon. The largest of the orks, surely thrice as tall as any man present, barrells toward us, far out pacing his smaller brethren. Those at the head of the pack are still far closer than he as they close within range of our guns.

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)> Take aim. steady on…steady…
>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> The lead ork reaches the brushline, slashing at the vegetation with a crude blade
>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Fire!

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: HEAVY BOLTER/AUTOMATIC/OUTGOINGLAS-CARBINE/OUTGOINGINF GRENADE LAUNCHER/OUTGOING<

>VOICEPRINT(VOLKOV)>Haaahaaaahaaaaa!

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>The enemy charges into our guns, some scattering only to turn back towards us once our fire had moved to another. The rest continue headlong, even those hit three times. Rusty hit one of them squarely in the head, the beast’s face disappeared as the crude pelt he wore ignited.

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: HEAVY BOLTER/AUTOMATIC/OUTGOINGLAS-CARBINE/OUTGOING<

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>In the cooly-lit rain, the blazing ork is a beacon as it continues to run, like a nillet with its head cut-off. Father Volkov’s shots are blessed by Emperor, he fellS one after another. Still they come, the big one drawing closer..

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: INF GRENADE LAUNCHER/OUTGOING<
>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: CONCUSSION GRENADE 70-100M<

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>until a blast from one of Rusty’s grenades throws him to the ground.

>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILAV)>That’s right you bastard!

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>I tell you nary a single shot falls a-foul of its target, but these greenskins cannot feel them at all, even as their flesh cracks and bones cook.

By the Emperor! The ork leader rises from the bushes into which he’s tumbled,

>XENO-VOCALISATION….WAVE-PATTERN ID: ORK/LARGERAGE<

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: FRAGMENTATION GRENADE 30-70 M<

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>He staggers forward, setting-off one of Krash’s grenade traps, the only effect of which was another great roar.

>XENO-VOCALISATION….WAVE-PATTERN ID: ORK/LARGERAGE<

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> All I see were the blood-flecked segments of imperial guard armor strapped to his huge chest, and the huge pole adorned with teeth and jagged metal.

>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILAV)>We’ve got to fall back

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: INF. GRENADE LAUNCHER/OUTGOING<
>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: FRAGMENTATION GRENADE/30-50M<

>VOICEPRINT(VOLKOV)>Nay brothers! Let Faith be your anchor, no foe shall move us so!

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: LASCARBINE/OUTGOING<

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)I feel a tingling in my flesh I have not felt in a very long time. I look to Ty’Win, his eyes were wide…and shining blue light. I know it was not just rain dampening his face. I smell smoke and kingberries, musty leather. The veins of Ty’Win’s face ripple, lighting sparking between his teeth, and his arms jerk-up with unnatural speed, under their own control.

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: UNDEFINED<
<<<//RECORDING TERMINATED//<<<<

>>>>RECORDING INITIATED>>>>>>
>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> Reality bulged as the warp tunnels through it, I heard the deafening scream of daemon in my ears, for only a moment, and then the great ork exploded into flame. The tree next to him errupted too, and the beast stumbled forward, bellowing.

>VOICEPRINT(TY’WIN)>Eeaeaaacchhcaehehahahhheeeeeeooooooooaaaahhh

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: UNDEFINED<

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)Real is real, warp is warp, be clear, think clear, hold to the real! Hold to the real! There…he’s come back, his flesh ceases to twitch and roil.

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>What the hell was that!

>XENO-VOCALISATION….WAVE-PATTERN ID: ORK/LARGERAGE<

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Do it again! Bring it down!

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: LAS-CARBINE/OUTGOING<

>VOICEPRINT(VOLKOV)Beloved Emperor, let your light shine through us and destroy the Enemy! Destroy the Xeno!

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: LAS-CARBINE/OUTGOING<

>VOICEPRINT(VOLKOV)>The Emperor Protects!

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> The xeno’s howling ceased but it did not fall. I nearly passed-out as the headless alien continued thrashing. It turned, as if confused, and charged a few meters out of the woods before falling to the ground.

>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILAV)>There’s still plenty more comming!

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: INF. GRENADE LAUNCHER/OUTGOING<

>INC\VOXPRINT (KRASHENINNIKOV)> How are you doing?

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Ammo check!
>VOICEPRINT(VOLKOV)>Plenty to spare no xeno!
>VOICEPRINT(TY’WIN)>Five canisters remaining.
>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILAV)>Four power-packs, 6 frag, 2 stun.

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> The ranks of orks are thinning. Most of the remaining xeno’s are fleeing back to the protection of the compound walls. With only a few enemy remaining in the field, Ty’Win stands and advances. As we’re moving, I see a shadow of movement across the clear-cut field. There’s another, it’s Krash and Tamarova, sprinting headlong through the rain toward the wall.

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: HEAVY BOLTER/AUTOMATIC/OUTGOINGLAS-CARBINE/OUTGOINGINF GRENADE LAUNCHER/OUTGOING<

The last ork falls, after having both of his legs burnt and the flesh of his head melted to the bone, it took the explosive amputation of his arm before he finally ceased advancing and fell.

>INC/VOXPRINT> Cover now!

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: AUTOCANNON/AUTOMATIC/INCOMING<

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Move Move Move!"
<<<<//RECORDING TERMINATED//<<<<<<

>>>>RECORDING INITIATED>>>>>>
>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>Miraculously, none of us had been injured. To this hour I do not know how. We fell back through the trees, well out-of-sight of the guard towers, and began advancing west, around the compound. Shredded leaves and wood pulp cling to our skin and clothes, soaked through. Were it not for the rain, I doubt I could play-off my shaking as shivers.

The faces of my squadmates, though, barely quiver, aside from Yuri’s. The two of us share our disbelief in reassuring looks. It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one shaken by what I’d just survived, but it seems even Yuri recovered within a couple of minutes. In this moment I feel as Ty’win must always feel, desperately alone. Though instead of a blessed curse, I am alone with my own mortality. I glance at my charge and companion, perhaps searching for comfort in some sign of disturbance; but his eyes are placid once more, devoid of any sign of what roils behind them.

>INC\VOXPRINT (KRASHENINNIKOV)> Foreman

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)> Go ahead
>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>We form a defensive circle without a further word.

>INC\VOXPRINT (KRASHENINNIKOV)> Badguy’s in the north four towers. One good truck, dze south towers are empty, no one in dze barracks. Generator in dze middle, I can get to it…cut dze lights…

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>There is a momentary grin on the Foreman’s face, as if a memory had flickered through her mind.

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Good, be ready

>INC\VOXPRINT (KRASHENINNIKOV)> Copy

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> Krash’s response is so light,I wonder, as I often have, whether Tundraman Krasheninnikov is ever truly aware of gravity in any context.

>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILAV)>That idiot better naught get caught. I’ll gut him with joy.

>VOICEPRINT(Artho)>You’re not capable of joy. Not that there’s ever a reason for it. We’re all going to die in agony.

>VOICEPRINT(VOLKOV)>Silence!

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: PUNCH/SLAP<

>VOICEPRINT(VOLKOV)>We will die with joy in our hearts having served the God-Emperor well!

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)We’re not going to die at all! We’ve killed half of them already, they’re leaderless, and we’ve still got the initiative. They’re fucked, so keep your victory dance dry.
<<<<//RECORDING TERMINATED//<<<<<

>>>>RECORDING INITIATED>>>>>>
>INC\VOXPRINT (TAMAROVA)> We’re starting over the south wall

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> From experience I can tell you Krash is almost over the wall already.

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Do it.

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> We’ve continued through the forest, and it’s been several minutes before I realized the rhythm of the autocannons had stopped. The night is eerily peaceful as we hike through the gentle rain.
<<<<//RECORDING TERMINATED//<<<<<<

>>>>RECORDING INITIATED>>>>>>
>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> We’ve come around the south end of the field, Krash just let us know they are in position, the south end is clear. We creep to the edge of the woods, looking out across two hundred and fifty meters of open ground.

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>Get ready..Lights out….Go Go Go!

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>heh-huh,heeh-huuh,heeh-huh
<<<<//RECORDING TERMINATED//<<<<<<

>>>>RECORDING INITIATED>>>>>>
>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>We sprinted in through the darkness. After the first fifty meters, my legs started burning. By the time we hit the wall, I all but collapsed, but Rusty was already climbing the rope left by Krash and Tamarova. After several failed attempts, slipping on the wet stone, Foreman Vladoff grabbed the rope from him.

>VOICEPRINT(VLADOFF)>We’ve got to get in there.

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)> Foreman Vladoff, Yuri, Artho, and Father Volkov are over the wall…Rostilav struggles above us on the rope.

>VOICEPRINT(ROSTILOV)> Gah! Stop recording you idiot!

>INC\VOXPRINT (KRASHENINNIKOV)> Two grots, southbound on the east side

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON)>Rusty’s made it over, Ty’Win and I struggle on the rope, the rain has soaked it through and my boots can find no purchase on the wall.

>INC\VOXPRINT (VLADOFF)> Which corner

>INC\VOXPRINT (KRASHENINNIKOV)> Southeast.

>INC\VOXPRINT (VLADOFF)> Knives…

>INC\VOXPRINT (VOLKOV)> Squiggly-beast!

>INC\VOXPRINT (VLADOFF)> Quiet_…_Rusty, get ready to take the grots.

>INC\VOXPRINT (ROSTILAV)> You want me to use a knife?

>NON-VERBAL AUDIO INTERFERENCE….WAVE-PATTERN ID: IMPACT/BODY-GRASS<

>VOICEPRINT(STENSON) Finally, Ty’Win made it to the top of the wall, and held a hand out for me. I grabbed it, and we tumbled over the top. Fortunately, I was able to get my feet under me before the ground hit me. We both rolled across the lawn, unhurt. I can hear the dull roar of the gas flares across the compound, dim shadows flicker across the walls as we hurry to join the rest of the squad…

<<<//RECORDING TERMINATED//<<<<<<

Comments

BarbariAndy

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.